Thursday, July 4, 2013

Is this just fantasy?



            When asked to draw my ideal classroom, I did not have a particularly hard time. I have spent quite a bit of time, in fact, thinking about what my future room will look like since I first thought of becoming a teacher. I want bookcases and a reading nook, I want space for student work, and a massive white board (because writing chalk is not my strong point), I want the outdoors to be near so we’re not cooped up all the time. This vision has continued to grow and change an impressive amount in the less than three weeks since beginning this graduate program. 

            Our own class discussions have reminded me how wonderful horseshoes are. I love being able to see and hear everyone when they speak and respond in a way that makes us feel connected. It seems to build a community feeling with everyone on the same level. (Not to mention how easy it makes CPRs!) To me, it is a great alternative to the default row configuration. With it that addition, I hope I can facilitate true conversations with and among students. 

            Then I fell in love with the debate table we saw in the center of the room in the classes of Detroit Future Schools. The way the kids discuss things deeply, together, without being called on and waiting for permission looked so helpful for the development of their thought processes, argumentative skills, and interpersonal relationships. Even if they were the ones sitting back and watching, the students had the chance to really examine both the subject at hand and how they worked through it. My room immediately went from having wasted space to a center for growth and discovery. 

No escape from reality.

            But something tells me this is going to take a while to achieve. What are the chances of having few enough students or a room big enough for a horseshoe to be feasible? How many schools have doors to outdoor classrooms? Will I be allowed to have a couch in my room? It is my hope that, through technology and training, I can still meet my goals. I want to provide my students with an environment of engagement and deep thought. Maybe a class website can provide a forum and, with the students, I can build presentations that spark a conversation. The configuration may not be perfect, but teachers are doing this every day. That is my ideal classroom.

Anyway the wind blows.

3 comments:

  1. I also had hesitation about my classroom drawing. I like the couch idea too! However, I too wonder how far the school administrators let teachers get creative. I would hope that as long as the education doesn't suffer then they would let teachers be as creative as possible. Preschool rooms have couches and I had elementary classrooms that had couches. If anything, high schoolers are in higher demand of a couch to be able to relax on. With all the academic and social pressures they have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how creative and thoughtful you were when thinking about your ideal classroom! I agree with you about the set up in the classroom where they were holding the debates and wonder what the class max would be in order for something like that to work (and how that would change as the kids grew up/got bigger). I think your realistic attitude about it taking time is smart because I think we will see a lot of classroom set ups over the next year and we may really like a lot if them! Access to outdoors feels important to me, too. p.s. love the music reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I love the fact that the "No escape from reality" quote falls directly below your picture...it's like "reality" is the normal classroom and you're trying to escape the traditional setting. I wish you full luck in escaping it! Reality's overrated anyways.

    ReplyDelete